In 1972, the Foothill Freeway opened
This aerial shot of the Foothill Freeway was taken in early November 1972, a few weeks before the freeway was completed and opened to traffic. The view is eastward, with the Arroyo Seco and Altadena in the background. The large campus in the center is on Cornishon Avenue. It then housed Foothill Intermediate School, but is now the headquarters for the La Canada Unified School District, which rents out some of the facilities to private schools.
The La Cañada Flintridge Planning Commission approved extensive plans for an expansion and remodeling project at the Vons Plaza de La Cañada shopping center, which first opened in the late 1960s. Among other improvements, the plans called for the demolition of a former Bank of America building at the northeast corner of Foothill Boulevard and Oakwood Avenue to make way for more parking at the site.
Twenty Years Ago
A grand-opening celebration was held for the new T.J. Maxx store in La Cañada on Nov. 8, 1992. It was the company's 44th California location.
Thirty Years Ago
A cold thunderstorm swept over La Cañada, dropping hail and more than 2 inches of rain on the town. The local mountain peaks were dusted with the first snow of the 1982-83 season.
Forty Years Ago
The Foothill Freeway through La Cañada was nearly completed and was expected to open by the end of November 1972.
Fifty Years Ago
Valley Sun publisher and editor Joe DuPlain wryly commented in his Nov. 8, 1962, column that during the previous month's Cuban missile crisis he had noted that the beverage department in one of La Cañada's supermarkets had advertised a magnum of vodka as “Economy Fallout Size.”
Sixty Years Ago
In November 1952 it was reported by La Cañada's superintendent of schools, Richard Farmer, that the annual cost per pupil of schooling children here was $228.79.
The county average was $237.98.