The incident occurred around 7:30 a.m. on Aug. 25 in the 4100 block of Hampstead Road. The meatball was stuffed with strychnine pills, according to a report from the Crescenta Valley Sheriff's Station. The dog's owner, Dan Horwath, found additional meatballs in his yard, which he saved. The dog was reportedly taken to a veterinarian after the incident.
The incident is the second dog poisoning reported on Hampstead Road in recent years. Another occurred in January 2009, said Galbraith. The homes on Hampstead border a public recreational trail.
Horwath told KCBS-TV that he believes the meatballs could have been thrown by someone walking along the trail.
A report on the 2009 incident was not immediately available.
Galbraith said the station has been monitoring social media sites to try to find tips regarding the incident. “We'll do anything we can.”
Anyone with information regarding the incident is being asked to call the sheriff's station at (818) 248-3464.